Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thanks for Giving

How fantastic is it that there is a holiday in our culture where you get to celebrate being THANKFUL?
I know it's a few weeks away, but I am so overwhelmed with things I'm thankful for, even as I've struggled through these past few months, that I want to make this whole month about being grateful and humbled by all the gifts in my life.

First and foremost, I am beyond thankful for my American citizenship and heritage. Last night, I assembled with some friends and watched the election coverage, and even though I may not have voted for him, I will earnestly and sincerely accept Barack Obama as my president. The passion that my fellow countrymen showed in the months leading up to this election, the interest that my peers exhibited, and the promises of the politicians campaigning all highlight what a gift it is to be able to choose, to be heard, to have a say.
Though I am not thankful for war, I am grateful for every man and woman who has ever fought to preserve my freedom and this way of life. I have traveled, I have fallen in love with foreign cities, but this is my home, and these are my ideals, too. We are the lucky ones.
Through our fair share of ugly mistakes, the people of our country have chosen to progress, and not simply for the sake of change, but for positive change- to become more humane and more just. We proved this last night, and I am proud.

On a smaller scale, I am thankful for my family, especially for the person my brother is becoming. I am thankful for our home, and for our security, and for the health and wellness of our extended family. I am thankful for my job and the income it provides, though I hate the job itself and what I'm letting it do to me, and am thankful for my paid vacation time.

Which means I am also thankful for the weekend I got to spend in California with my Beautiful Ba, and the relaxation and relief it brought me. I am grateful for my friends, and for their support and humor and sincerity and goodness. I am grateful for the love I know and have known- and that even though I realized today I have not seen You in three months, I am grateful for the best of things we shared, and that you are not holding me back.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you for this. I am beyond thankful to have you as one of my best friends! I love you so much and you are such an accomplished young woman.

    :)

    ReplyDelete