Friday, December 19, 2008

Newsflash: 2008 Wasn't So Bad

With the new year right around the bend, I have been really looking forward to making some resolutions. I really like the idea of starting fresh, of tackling more, and of leaving behind. Looking at time in a linear way really allows us to do this.

However, the more I think about it, it's just as important to do a "year in review" of sorts. Just as Rolling Stone releases their comprehensive "50 Best Albums of the Year" issue, and People magazine declares the best and worst dressed celebrities, I think it's good to reflect and do the same in my own life- to evaluate how I did on my resolutions to make sure they meant something.

And you know what? I did ok. As much as I wanted to make The Weepies' "This is Not Your Year" my 2008 anthem, I am proud to announce that I had a fairly kick ass year.

(I want to hear about yours, too, but, let me pat myself on the back for a second)

2008: A Year of Accomplishments, After All

1. I wrote a 58 page thesis on "The Role and Identity of Women in Violent Political Extremist Acts in the Middle East" and defended it in front of my committee. I passed with honors.

2. I went to Puerto Rico for Spring Break.

3. I graduated from an accredited public university with a double major and a minor.

4. I got a job immediately upon graduation.

5. I survived a breakup and came out the other side stronger and better for it.

6. I bought a car.

7. I moved out of my parents' house into an apartment.

8. I had the honor of being in one of my best friends' weddings.

9. I bought myself a handbag. A very lovely, expensive, silly thing that I wanted and could afford for the first time ever.

10. I saw the following bands' live shows for the first time (some of which were at The Gorge Amphitheater, which I had never been to and will now visit once a year): Minus the Bear, The Big Sleep, Todd Snider, REM, The Cure, The Mars Volta, Flight of the Conchords, The Flaming Lips, Roderigo y Gabriela, The Little Ones, Mates of State, Ratatat, Ghostland Observatory, DJ Tiesto, Fleet Foxes, Back Door Slam, The Blakes, Band of Horses, The Black Keys, !!!, Estelle, Ingrid Michaelson, and Portugal the Man

11. I remained a good and loyal friend to the people I respect, trust, and admire.

As much as I struggled through certain months, as much as I thought I knew what was best for me other months... I was convinved that 2008 was just not my year. And it may not have been, but I made it my bitch.

2008? You got owned.

1 comment: