Saturday, March 7, 2009

Girl, I wanna check out your components.

In trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, a role model is always a good place to start.
Other than the stellar, solid, sassy, smart, and sincere woman that is my mother, and both of my elegant and classy and brave grandmothers, there are three women on the planet I really look up to- not for all they stand for, but for the gut feeling I get when I think of them. That they mean something, that they are doing and have done great things- these women make me feel the way I want other people to feel when they look at me.

#1. Angelina Jolie

I don't care what you say about her. Behold:






Aside from the obvious wins in her column (Brad Pitt, those cheekbones, an easy start with two famous parents), the woman always does what she wants. She gets the man, she adopts someone else's kid, she wears blood, what. ever. She is a humanitarian and a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN and if you don't think I want that job, you are a stranger to me.

#2. Jane Birkin

The original "girl don't give a fuck" poster child. After she divorced the guy who wrote the James Bond theme, she married Serge Gainsbourg when she was like, 20. I don't envy her life as a slave to the men she wanted (to gain their admiration and companionship) but she always did whatever the hell she wanted to and looked good doing it. Additionally, she has one of the world's most sought-after handbags named for her, an extensive filmography, and a singing career most models only dream of.
Iconic.







#3. Aunt Lucy

This Greek goddess speaks 5 languages fluently (English, Arabic, Greek, French, and Italian), smokes, paints, and is the most fabulous hostess the world has ever known. She is also married to my great-uncle (who is a former treasurer of a foreign country) and has raised three intelligent, beautiful, sociable, fabulous children. She is glamorous, fabulous, and inimitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment