Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yeah well, review THIS

You know it's going to be a great morning when the following three things hit you in succession:

1. You wake up late for work because you're knee deep in a dream wherein you spot Barbara Walters hyperventilating in the middle of a suburban street. Instead of running to her aid, or calling an ambulance, or even asking her how she can even STAND TO BE IN JOY BEHAR'S PRESENCE EVERY MORNING, you swoop down and steal her dog. That's right, YOU STOLE BABA WAWA'S DOG.

2. Once you wake up and shake off that monumental weirdness, you pull into the parking lot at work...where you promptly drop your company laptop on the blacktop. No one's going to notice that dent in the right corner when you turn this thing back in on the day of your inevitable firing, right?

3. You get to your desk, plug in the machine, and, mercifully, it works. But then you get this unwarranted, unsolicited, and frankly UNCOOL email from a co-worker. Not even a boss... just...a co-worker:

"Hi,
Just a heads up (some information from our Test Case creation guidelines):

  • Analyst e-mails Client at least 48 hrs prior to the Test Case Review Meeting to notify Client that the test cases are ready for review
  • Documentation will be committed to shared folder; Client will pull documentation from shared folder
  • E-mail identifies the shared folder and filename(s) of each test case document
  • E-mail may be the meeting invitation or may be a separate e-mail
  • Documentation includes the following – all should be submitted at the same time:
    Test Matrix (if applicable)
    UC Test Cases
    UI Test Cases
  • Client reviews test case documentation prior to Test Case Review Meeting
  • Client reviews for test case coverage and content issues (inaccurate/incomplete test cases)

    Also, you should reserve a meeting room for the Test Case Review Meetings. That way anyone else that would like to or anyone else that is delegated to attend the meeting besides those you invited can come to the meeting.

    This is just a bit of advice for you. If all of the analysts are following the same guidelines it works out better for all of us as one team. I know it is sometimes hard working in an environment where we are not employees but are contractors and therefore need to handle ourselves more professionally and differently than if we were employees. I liked it better when I was an employee and felt more comfortable but having been working for this company for almost 16 years, I have kind of gotten used to having to handle things a little differently.

    Take Care. "


    WELL GUESS WHAT. IF I WORKED HERE FOR 16 YEARS I'D BE DEAD.
    Because I would have hung myself with a projector cord in said meeting room.

    Everyone complains about how busy they are - how overloaded and overworked they are and how our managers micromanage - and then my own teammate sends me something this nitpicky, obviously taking the time out of her morning to check my schedule, find fault with the way I'd set up a meeting (at the client's desk...because that's where she prefers to have them), take the time to find these archaic guidelines NO ONE uses, and email them to me.

    I admit I've never taken direction very well (Sorry Mom. Sorry Dad). But if I were going to start, it would not be because someone sent me this kind of email.

1 comment:

  1. The secretaries I used to work with would send mass emails to everyone in our section about the "proper" procedures for dictating different types of documents (when to say the names of the parties, the file number, etc.) when I would do it wrong. One even told me i didn't have the authority to tell her to correct the name in a file when it was spelled wrong, i had to go ask someone to tell her that it was okay for me to tell her to change it, AAAAAHHHH I hate co-workers!

    Sincerely,
    Your Wal-tang roomie

    ReplyDelete