Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Leomania, 2010 Edition

I woke up this morning and literally the first thing I thought of when my eyes opened was,
"Gosh, Leonardo DiCaprio has been famous since he was like, 14, and he's somehow managed to stay out jail all this time, and tabloids for most of it. I wonder what he's DOING...oh yeah, Bar Rafaeli and... he's MAKING AWESOME MOVIES. I need to brush my teeth."

I never really went through uber-Leomania when I was a kid. Granted, Titanic was definitely my favorite movie for a few years and I have seen it probably three dozen times, but I didn't have the Romeo+Juliet obsession like many of my peers, and I have never once bought a copy of Teen, or Tiger Beat, or whatever those periodicals are called.

And even in recent years, I have been known to scoff at him as a good actor, since I have this issue where I feel like I'm always watching Leonardo DiCaprio and not his characters on screen.
But maybe it's just because I have a large deep-seated crush on him, I'm coming to realize.



Here's the thing... this guy's filmography is nearly flawless. Look at this:

Shutter Island (2010)
Revolutionary Road (2008)
Body of Lies (2008)
Blood Diamond (2006)
The Departed (2006)
The Aviator (2004)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
Gangs of New York (2002)
Don's Plum (2001)
The Beach (2000/I)
Celebrity (1998)
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998/I)
Titanic (1997)
Marvin's Room (1996)
Romeo + Juliet (1996)
Total Eclipse (1995)
The Basketball Diaries (1995)
The Quick and the Dead (1995)
The Foot Shooting Party (1994)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
This Boy's Life (1993)
Poison Ivy (1992)
Critters 3 (1991)

That's almost 20 years of filmmaking and there is hardly a flop, a flub, or a fluke in there. He chooses smart, difficult roles. He works with talented and proven directors. He is lucky enough to be offered parts, but it's because he's shown he can handle them, as well as acting alongside the greats from an early age (Meryl Streep, Robert De Niro, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Diane Keaton, Gene Hackman, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks). I admit I haven't seen a few of the older ones, but most of the ones I have seen have been awesome (who didn't love "Catch Me If You Can" or "The Departed"?).

He basically has one of the most impressive film careers in the industry, and he's only 36. He dates super models (and not just any supermodels, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition COVER MODELS and Victoria's Secret runway models). And he stays out of trouble! DUDE IS BASICALLY REMARKABLE.



And now Inception is out this week and I'm sure it's going to be excellent and he's just going to give all of us another reason to love him.

Especially because he was in Gilbert Grape:



No comments:

Post a Comment