Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Everyone Loves You When You're Dead

Sunny September Saturday, skipped down under the Manhattan Bridge overpass from what I didn't know was soon to be my new apartment, stopped into a record store.



Saw this book, read a page, decided I needed it.  Bought it with cash, asked the clerk about the neighborhood.

Despite wearing gym clothes head to toe, decided the gym wouldn't miss me, and that the Brooklyn Bridge would instead benefit from my company.


 Started the walk alone, came out on the Manhattan side with a young man from North Carolina who also decided he would benefit from my company and asked for my number.

Heard from the boy in the requisite three days, finished the book in a week.

Still hanging out with the boy, but, done with the book and ready to let it go!

About the book:
Neil Strauss is a veteran journalist, who, from what I gather from this book, is easy to talk to and can gain the confidence of strangers (nervous and famous and self-conscious and unknowns alike) and get them into a really revealing space.  This book is a collection of some of his favorite moments over the years from his interviews and encounters with some of the most talented, fascinating, influential musicians and celebrities of our time (including, but not limited to: Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Pete Townshend, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Trent Reznor, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Snoop Dogg, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Rick James, Madonna, Chuck Berry, Brian Wilson, Marilyn Manson, Britney Spears...).

Knowing these names has been mostly the extent of my education on many of their contributions to pop culture, but reading about their process, their experiences, their tragedies and the simple way with which they interacted with Strauss during the interviews completely captured my attention.

It also totally piqued my interest in the work of many of these artists that I wasn't familiar with.  So, when you read this book, here's a sampling of the music being discussed.  It's not organized very well and isn't comprehensive, but, it's a decent cross-section with which to acquaint yourself:

Everyone Loves You When You're Dead by Jessica Crowell on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment